Friday, February 24, 2012

"Won't My Mommy Be So Proud of Me?"

You know the song...
"I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee. Won't my mommy be so proud of me? I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee....Ouch! It stung me!"
Sometimes I feel so proud of things I've done and think to myself- My parents taught me well. Or I send pictures of said accomplishments to them. I send them ALOT of pictures of my girls. I'm soooo proud of the little beauties that I've helped create. And, their sweet hearts make me super proud too. But, there are rough days. If you are a parent, you absolutely know this. There are days when I feel like the only way I can be heard is to yell above the chaos. Or days when my seven year old tries to talk her way out of bath times or bedtimes or any sort of times, really. Or when my four year old gets that stubborn little look on her face and refuses to obey. It can be so frustrating! Let's label these "squished bee days". I think I'm doing a good job and then it stings me and I squish it. In the end, I know my mommy is still proud of me. How do I know this? She tells me. All. The. Time. From walking through the mall and not losing my kids, to announcing another pregnancy, to making chocolate covered strawberries look all cute in tuxedos, to standing up to that seven year old that doesn't want to brush her hair, because she just did it yesterday. She always tells me how proud she is of the woman I've become. Of the mother and wife I am. I can't take a whole lot of credit. Monkey see, monkey do, right? But, I cannot appreciate enough knowing that my mommy is proud of me. Even on the days I get stung and squish my bee. (We won't go further...like the days I wipe off, lick off and then throw up my bee...)
I hope that I can someday look back at these days and remind myself of the people that helped me through this season. This chaotic, fun, heart-wrenching, hard, sweet, temporary season. I know my mom will be at the top of the list. And I will still be working to keep her pride. (Even though I know I don't have to work very hard for that.) And I hope to remember to tell my daughters how very proud I am of them. Each and every day. From their small accomplishments like getting dressed by themselves, to their big accomplishments like raising their own sons and daughters.
Mom, thanks for always being proud of my bumblebees. No matter how big or small. Thanks for telling me you are proud and then helping me clean it up after I squish it. I hope to keep making you proud. And I hope to pass on this legacy to my girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment