Thursday, May 23, 2013

ONE

Our precious little prince took his very first breath one year ago today. He captured our hearts. He fascinated his sisters. He made our love grow. Just twelve months ago, we heard his first little cry, watched him open his eyes for the first time and held him in our arms for the first of many nights. We fell in love with our little man just one year ago today. (You can read all about it here.)


After each baby, I am amazed at the family transformation that occurs. How completely in love with one little person we all are. How every smile, every cry, every giggle, even every fart has our attention. We fell in love with our Drake one year ago today, and every day since then, the love has grown. 
Image by Katie Evans Photography

I love seeing a big ol' toothy grin in the morning! With arms stretched up to me, anxious for my warm embrace.
I love when he hugs someone. He tucks his little hands beneath his belly and wiggles his butt back and forth trying to get as close as possible to you.
I love how he points to get you to move while you are holding him. One sweet little finger, directing you. Compelling you to move.
I love his belly laughs! They fill the room whenever his sisters tickle and play with him.
I love how he grunts for things. He has done this his entire life and it is still adorable.
I love the complete trust that he has in people. Trust to catch him if he misses a step, trust to follow him up the stairs, trust to keep him from harm. And I love that we all do those things.

I love that he adores his daddy. The bond they have is priceless.
I love his curiosity about everything he isn't supposed to have. Watching him explore his world is a gift straight from God.
I love the noise he makes when I am getting ready to nurse him. Like he can't get it fast enough. Sounds like a little puppy whimpering.
I love watching him watch things, people, animals. The world through his eyes is such a bright and wonderful place. Full of adventure and things to put in his mouth.
I love how he crawls. Cautious. Yet quick. He has been crawling for a few months now, but it still looks new to him. 

I love feeling his body give in to sleep. That moment when he melts into your arms.
I love it when he signs "more". Even if there is a lot of food in his mouth, he instantly signs for "more". 
I love watching him walk around the furniture. And how he will push around anything that moves just so he can walk. And how he can always convince someone to take his hand and walk with him. 
I love how completely different he is from his sisters. Yes, he has some of the same looks and traits as his sisters, but as a whole, he is entirely
Drake. 
I love that he wants me when he is hurt, tired, hungry, scared. 
I love when he brings me a book to read, but really just wants to flip through the pages as fast as he is allowed. 
I love his obsession with Cheerios. He would eat the entire box if I left it within his reach.
I love how silly he gets when someone new talks to him. He snuggles in to me and gives a shy little grin.
I love his (what seem like) endless dimples!
I love my baby boy. But above all of that, I love that I get to be his mama. I love that I am a part of his memories. I love that I get to wake up each day and do things with and for him. Because that's what it's all about. Loving and being loved.

Happy birthday, Drakey. You are such a light in our lives. Constantly glowing and making us shine brighter. We are so blessed to be your parents and to be a part of your joy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment