Sunday, November 4, 2012

God is Able

During worship today, we sang a song that said "God is able". We have sang this song before. Many times. Each time we sing it, I have to chuckle a little. What a small word for such a big God. "Able". Well, my 5 year old is able to wash herself in the tub. My baby is able to roll over. I am able to drive to the store. What a plain word to describe our God.
Why wouldn't we sing about how sovereign, holy, awesome, just, amazing, majestic, mighty...our God is? Really. "Able" is the best we can do?? (Yes, these are feeble, human words that we are trying to use to describe our Lord. So, already, they fall short. That's a different point..) Then, it hits me. I am intimidated by a *majestic* God. I feel small in front of the Creator of the universe. I am not worthy of even a second of His time. That is why we sing about God being able. So that we feel confident in bringing our fears, worries, needs and wants to Him. He is able to take our worries about something as small as Drake's snotty nose. He is able to fix Hubby's back problems. He is able to help my girls make friends at school. He is able to make me a better mother and wife. He is able to mend my broken relationships. He is able. More than able. 


"Lifted up, He defeated the grave.
Raised to life, our God is able.
In His name, we overcome.
For the Lord our God is able."


I needed to hear this song today. To remind me that yes, our God is ALL of those words. And He is able to do more than I could ask or imagine. 
We cannot do this on our own. We cannot conquer anything on our own. Our God DEFEATED THE GRAVE!!! It is in His name, and His name alone that we overcome.
Thank you, Lord, for being able. 


1 comment:

  1. Great post, Rachel. Thanks for sharing your heart and a great teaching!

    ReplyDelete