Cadee was "Camper of the Week" this week. Which means she gets to share things about herself, she took an estimation jar to school (she chose cotton balls to stuff into hers and all of her classmates have to estimate how many are in there. At the end of the week, they will see who was the closest), she will read her favorite book to the class, share a letter written to her by a loved one, and bring treats on Friday! Today, I brought her Chick Fil A for lunch and got to sit down with her and two of her friends. Cadee picks good friends. Sweet, kind, respectful friends. Boy, girls, doesn't matter to her. She picks them based on their sense of humor and if they are nice, not naughty.
As we were sitting there having lunch, her friend, M, was chatting with me, Cadee and Drake. M looks at me and says- so what DO you do all day?
I was totally caught off guard! I felt a little defensive. But then I realized, it's just a 7 year old girl wondering what I do with my day since I don't work. See, her parents are divorced and both work outside the home. As I was thinking through my response, I felt a little bit of heartache for M. I wish she could know the routine and comfort of a stay at home mom, and of a family that is still together. I know that her parents do a great job at making her feel loved. I can tell. I also know that I grew up with a stay at home mom. And it was awesome. I didn't have a CLUE what she did while my sister and I were at school all day long. I figured she napped, did puzzles, watched TV, chatted with her friends...(boy, was I wrong!) I really didn't care! All I knew was that if I needed her at a school event, she was there. If I felt sick and the nurse had to call her, she was always there. If there was an early out, I didn't have to worry about where I would go. My mom was waiting for me at home. I know today that it is rare to have a stay at home mom. And I respect that not every family can make it work. I thank God everyday for letting me have my dream job!
To answer M's question, I smiled at her and said, "Well, it's pretty awesome. I get to hang out with Drake all day and come help at school." She grinned.
It has been 6 years since I have officially become a stay at home mom. I STILL struggle with validation. That I'm doing the right thing, that it's ok that I'm not bringing in any money, that I balance housework and my children well. I know, without a doubt, that this is where I'm supposed to be. (Plopped on the couch, blogging about my life...well, ok, not literally.) I love my life. I love that I can be the one to pick up my son when he cries or when he wakes up. I love that I change nearly every diaper. I love that when my children forget their backpacks after National Walk to School day, I can take them to them at school. I love that I can bring my big girl a special lunch and sit and chat with her and her friends. I love being there when Lili comes charging at me for the biggest hug of my life after school. I love being able to get things around the house done during the day so that I can soak up every second with my family at night. I have the sweetest life.

Beautiful post, Rachel. I always knew I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, but actually following through with it was harder than I had imagined. It was hard to leave a job I loved in order to NOT leave a son I loved even more. Moving from a job where I received regular praise and recognition to a job where I received no praise and no recognition was admittedly difficult for me. But I wouldn't have done it any other way. I am so thankful that I can be the one who is teaching and discipling my children on a daily basis. And I'm thankful that God gave me the courage and resolve to allow the course of my life to be changed for the sake of my kids.
ReplyDelete