Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Old Enough to Know Better

I use this line all the time with my girls... "You are old enough to know better." Meaning, I have told you a thousand times over the past X years, you have heard it enough. I know you know not to do that! So why are you still doing it? 
You are old enough to know that we don't drink chocolate milk in the living room. 
That we don't talk above a whisper in the library.
That we don't hide things from mommy. Even if you think it's hilarious.

That we don't jump on the bed.
That we don't flick the light switch on and off a hundred times.

Basic things that I expect my girls to understand. They are old enough to know better.

I turned a page in my life this year... I'm now officially in my "late 20s". It's crazy to think about. My sister and I were just talking how we feel like we have blinked and now we are grown ups with grown up problems and grown up aches and pains. It's insane how we want so badly to be adults and do what we want to do when we are little, but then when it actually happens, we regret wanting that. I love my life, but it has gone by so fast. Especially with my kids.
I used to be able to get away with little things. Traffic violations, forgetting to put stuff away, not cleaning the fridge out each week, forgetting to spray for spiders, drying Hubby's shirts. All it took was "I'm sorry, I didn't know." That used to work. It used to get me off the hook. Now, I am old enough to know better.

I guess the kids can jump on the bed one more time. And be very careful with their milk in the living room. And laugh and play whenever they get the chance. Because, someday, too soon, they WILL be old enough to know better. And then they will be wishing they were little again.

No comments:

Post a Comment