Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Lili's Salvation Story

I remember the exact moment my heart skipped a beat. Out of fear. Fear that I wouldn't know all of the answers to her questions. Fear that I wouldn't instruct her to pray the right way. Fear that we wouldn't take all of the proper steps to insure she would get into heaven. But, the peace. I remember the peace more clearly than the fear. Peace that comes from letting Jesus rule and guide my heart, instead of fear. Peace from seeking counsel from a dear friend and trusted Jesus-lover. Peace that my daughter, my toughest, most emotional, most refining (for me) daughter yet would be entering the kingdom of heaven with me someday.
Lili had been asking a lot of questions about communion and heaven lately. She knows the facts, and sometimes I believe she is more spiritual than anyone. She really does believe in God and Jesus. She just needed help putting it all together. We had had conversations before, but they never went too deep. We talked about God and Jesus, we talked about how He is the creator, how He loves us and how He wants us to love Him back with our whole hearts. Now came the time for application... Well, mommy, what does that look like? What does it mean to love Jesus with your whole heart? Why do you get communion and I don't?

It was a Sunday morning....September 21, 2014. My parents were in town but decided to stay home for whatever reason. Lili was the only one going with me to church that Sunday. Looking back, I see what a sweet gift that was. To spend that time with her. We hopped in Nana and Bapa's car (Ruby) and headed to church. Lili is a talker. She has been talking and singing since she found her vocal cords! This day was no different. She started asking more questions about salvation and heaven. I can't recall every question nor every answer, but I do remember it coming back to communion and why we take that. She said, "Mom, I know it is like Jesus' body for the bread and the juice is His blood because He died on the cross, but why?"

Remember above how I mentioned my Jesus-loving friend, and how she guided me to leading my daughter to Christ? I called her one day, afraid, and asked her to meet me that night. I could tell she was concerned and she agreed. And she was pretty relieved when I told her I needed help teaching salvation to my girl. She gave me the greatest advice that I will keep for all of my children, and for any non-believer... You teach the gospel and let the Spirit do the rest.

So on that Sunday morning, in the car, on the way to church, I shared the gospel with my daughter. This wasn't the first time we have talked about Jesus coming to earth, living as a human, and dying on the cross for our sins and raising from the dead so that we may enter heaven one day. But, on this day, she looked at me in the rear view mirror and said- I do believe that, mom!


We prayed for Jesus to forgive her of her sins, come live in her heart and we thanked Him for loving us.

Have we had tough days since? Yes. Has she dishonored and disobeyed us since that day? Absolutely. Do I offer grace and forgiveness? Does Jesus? The answer is a resounding YES. This is what Jesus is. Grace. Love, Forgiveness. I am incredibly thankful that my girl GETS that. She embraces that. And she gets to live her life in the peace that grace offers.

Thank you, Jesus, for loving us when we disobey, dishonor and distrust You. Your grace knows no end. Your love is truly unconditional. Thank you for the peace that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment